The College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHUSS), Makerere University invites you to the National Humanities Conference (HumanitiesCon2021). HumanitiesCon2021 will bring together scholars in the disciplines of Philosophy, Religion, History and Archaeology, Creative Arts (Music, Dance and Drama), Languages and Linguistics, Literature, Social Psychology, Critical Cultural Studies, Media Studies, Political Theory, Law and Feminist Studies.
Theme: Humanities and Humanistic Social Sciences Scholarship for a New Era
- Multi-disciplinary conceptualising of the Humanities and Humanistic Social Sciences in the neo-liberal and globalised world
- Contemporary theoretical and methodological approaches in the study of societal challenges
- Humanities, pedagogies and curricula
- Exploring the luminaries on whose shoulders we stand: histories and genealogies of Humanities scholarship in Uganda
- Humanities and the decolonisation project
- Humanities and contemporary development challenges, including climate change, migration, inequalities and pandemics
- Repositioning the humanities in higher education
- Humanities, human rights, law and governance
- Humanities, feminism, gender and sexuality
- Indigenous knowledge, archives, heritage and cultural memory
- Humanities, identity, nationalism and citizenship
- The creative industry and humanistic interventions in society
- Humanities in the digital era
- Imagining the future of the Humanities
GUEST OF HONOUR: Mrs. Lorna Magara, Chairperson, Makerere University Council
Note: The conference will be graced by the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Barnabas Nawangwe
- Prof. Paul Tiyambe Zeleza, United States International University, Nairobi
- Presentation: Rethinking the Place of the Humanities and Social Sciences in the Post Covid-19 Academy
- Prof. Monica Chibita, Dean, Faculty of Journalism, Media and Communication at Uganda Christian University, Mukono
- Presentation: Humanities and Social Sciences Research for the 21st Century: Reclaiming Scholarly Agency
REGISTRATION TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONFERENCE
Please click on the link below to register for the conference.
The opening ceremony will be held on Wednesday, 11th August 2021 starting at 2:00pm and will be presided over by Mrs. Lorna Magara, Chairperson, Makerere University Council.
Zoom link for the Opening Ceremony
Webinar ID: 927 2442 3707
DAY TWO & DAY THREE CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
Please note that the conference proceedings/presentations for Day Two, 12th August 2021 and Day Three, 13th August 2021 will be held between 8:00am-4:00pm.
Links for online participation in the different conference sessions will be shared as soon as they are ready.
The conference is sponsored by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation in New York with support from Gerda Henkel Stiftung.
All conference proceedings will be streamed live through our social media platforms;MakerereCHUSS MakerereCHUSS
Conference hashtag: #HumanitiesCon2021
For inquiries about the conference, please contact;
- Dr Aisha Nakiwala Sembatya - Chair, Organizing Committee, email: aisha.nakiwala[at]mak.ac.ug, Tel: +256 772516078
- Dr Levis Mugumya – Conference Convener, email: lmugumya[at]gmail.com, Tel: +256772475807
- Hasifa Kabejja – Principal Communication Officer, CHUSS, email: pr.chuss[at]mak.ac.ug, Tel: +256774904211